Need advice fast? Call us for a FREE initial consultation on
0116 254 6246 / 01332 595 020 or email:
24hr emergency line for police station advice & representation

Adult Dependant Relatives

If you are a dependant relative of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK (known as your ‘settled relative’), you can apply for permission to settle permanently here, also known as ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’.

You can apply for permission to settle permanently here (known as ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) if you are:

  • Aged 18 or over; and
  • A parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen or person settled in the UK.

You will be required to demonstrate that you satisfy the following requirements:

  • You need long-term personal care to perform every day tasks, such as washing and cooking;
  • The care you need is not available in the country where you are living, either because it is not available and there is no person in the country where you are living who can reasonably provide it or it is not affordable;
  • Your sponsor can show that he or she is able to provide adequate maintenance, accommodation and care for you without having to rely on public funds. Your sponsor will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking form to confirm that they will be responsible for your care without relying on public funds for a period of at least 5 years.

These applications can only be made if you are outside the UK, and you must provide documents to support your visa application, including a sponsorship undertaking form signed by the British citizen or settled person on whom you are dependent (your sponsor). As the Immigration Rules have changes significantly from the “old” dependent relative category, it is wise to seek our legal advice immediately so our immigration team can assist you further.

  • Share this: