Need advice fast? Call us for a FREE initial consultation on
0116 254 6246 / 01332 595 020 or email:
24hr emergency line for police station advice & representation

Employment Applications

If you are interested in working in UK, it is important for you to know the different workers category in order for you to be aware on the specific requirements you need to comply with. These categories are currently open to people who want to come to and work in the UK.

The categories below are under review – they remain open at present but may change in the future, workers are classified as follows:

Domestic Workers

The ‘domestic worker in a private household’ category allows overseas employers to bring their domestic workers with them when they visit the UK for up to 6 months. To come here as a domestic worker, you must be an established member of your employer’s staff – you must have worked for your employer for at least a year before you apply for a visa.

Domestic workers include cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks, those providing personal care for the employer or a member of the employer’s family, and nannies. You must work in your employer’s household in the UK. You will be given permission to stay in the UK for up to 6 months. You must return home at the end of the 6 months or when your employer returns home, whichever is sooner. We will not extend your permission to stay past 6 months or past the time that your employer is in the UK. You are not allowed to change employer while you are in the UK or change to a different type of employment.

You cannot bring your dependants with you but they may apply to come here in their own right, for example as visitors.

Representative of Overseas Business

You may be able to come to the UK under this immigration route if you are:

  • The sole representative of an overseas company, intending to set up a wholly owned subsidiary or register a UK branch for an overseas parent company; or
  • An employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation who is being posted on a long-term assignment as a representative of your overseas employer.

These following categories are currently closed. If you want to come to UK as to work for the following jobs you may apply for a Business Visitor Visa.

  • Clinical attachments
  • Film crew on location
  • Overseas qualified doctors taking the PLAB test
  • Postgraduate doctors and dentists
  • Share this: