• Have a Query?


  • Leicester Number

    0116 254 6246

  • Emergency Call?


Child Law

Residence and Contact

These are two of the main legal issues that arise in relation to children when couples separate. The welfare of children on separation is of paramount concern to everyone involved, especially the courts.

You may need our expert advice on parental responsibility or specific children related issues, such as changing a child’s name. We work with you to find solutions to court proceedings and to minimise the impact your separation would have on your children. We are committed to achieving amicable solutions that are of benefit to the adults but above all the children. In addition to residence and contact matters, we are also able to deal with specific issue and prohibited steps orders.


Parental Responsibility

Parental responsibility (PR) in family law is a legal status derived from the Children Act 1989. You may be quite rightly regarded as a ‘responsible’ parent by a host of organisations, even have sole responsibility for your child’s daily care, but at the same time not have the formal status of a parent with parental responsibility.

Parental responsibilities means the legal rights, duties and responsibilities that a parent has for a child. However, others, besides parents, can have parental responsibility for a child; for example, a local authority for children in its care, a child’s guardian, a child’s stepfather and perhaps a child’s grandparents or other relatives who will be able to acquire parental responsibility in certain circumstances.

In considering whether to award parental responsibility (or a residence order, or leave to apply for a residence order) the court’s paramount consideration is the welfare of the child.

Contact us if you would like to discuss how this might apply to you, as the law can in practice be complex depending on your circumstances.

For further legal advice regarding parental responsibility or any other area of family law please feel free to call us. Our team is very much willing to assist you with your concerns.

Finance Claims For Children

If you are a parent, guardian, special guardian of a child, or you have a residence order in respect of a child, you may be able to claim as a parent to meet various financial requirements and needs of the child living with you. This claim is made on behalf of the child, and is separate from the claims between separating couples.

Where all the children and both parents are UK residents and the children are still at secondary school, child maintenance is handled through what used to be called the CSA and is now called the child maintenance service. Unmarried parents do not have claims to share the other parent’s property, like their married parents do. However, unmarried parents can apply to court for certain financial provisions for children. We can help you try and negotiate a settlement.

SKR Legal Solicitors have a specialist team of financial claims solicitors that will assist you with the utmost professionalism and care whether you have a business or personal claim.